Cox and Son, Southampton.
A 12 bore back action double hammer gun by Cox and Son of Southampton. The locks have rebounding hammers and the 29" damascus barrels have 2 1/2" chambers and are nitro proofed. The damascus is attractively browned stub twist. The stock has a reach of 14". Horn tipped fore end, and a Jones rotary lever action. the rib is engraved with Cox and Son and becomes faint as it proceeds with 7 Barnard Street Southampton. the wood to metal fit is good and the pin heads are in good order. The chequering is tidy and clean. A very useable and handsome hammer gun.
Midland Gun Co. Top Lever Hammer 12 bore Gun
A side by side Hammer shotgun from the Midland Gun Company. The Midland Gun Company existed from 1897 through until 1952 when the business was taken over by Parker Hale. This gun has certainly seen plenty of life, but is still a perfectly useable hammer gun. It has rebounding hammers. There is a an old repair at the toe of the butt. The barrels have light pitting. It has 2 1/2" chambers and 30" barrels, choked at improved cylinder and full and is nitro proofed. The reach is 13 1/4". It would make a an ideal foul weather gun or just gives the chance to own a serviceable English Hammer gun at a reasonable price.
John Manton & Son 16 Bore Hammer Gun
An interesting and high quality double 16 bore shotgun. The browned damascus barrels have a wide top rib and are engraved "John Manton & Son Dover Street London". The non rebounding locks are engraved with scroll work and a hunting spaniel with the words " John Manton Son & Coe". The history of the Manton brothers ( John and Joseph) provides the bed rock on which the british gun making reputation has been built, but is a complicated one. John Manton made finest quality guns and was the elder of the two brothers. He was joined by his son George Henry Manton in 1814. There was then a partnership with a William Hudson and John Manton's nephew Gildon Manton who joined the business in 1834. Mrs Manton inherited the business in 1858 and made the works foreman Charles Coe a partner. In 1867 Coe succeeded to the business and guns were then marked John Manton Son and Coe. All this is relevant as the barrels appear to be much earlier than the locks. The use of Manton & Coe on the locks would date them from 1867 to 1878, but the name on the barrel rib, and the width of the rib suggest they date from the earlier percussion era and the gun was converted to breech loading at a later stage. Either way, the gun has a stunning stock with a 14" reach and a metal butt plate (in the style of a muzzle loader), and sharp chequering. Jones rotary grip and a vacant escutcheon. The 29" barrels have black powder proof marks from London. The right barrel has some pitting. A delight to shoot and full of history.
T Wild Birmingham 12 bore Hammer Gun
A classic 12 bore rebounding hammer Gun. This is a very straight and tidy gun. It has 30" nitro proofed barrels which have good, but not immaculate bores. There is light pitting in both barrels which is only apparent after close inspection. The barrels are choked at Improved and 3/4. The external finish is a deep uniform blue. The action is of the back action type, and the lock plates are in fine shape - border engraved with partial rosette covering, and free from pits and blemishes. The stock has a 14 1/4" reach and has a bakelite butt plate. The fore end has a horn tip. The gun is very tidy crisp. Thomas Wild traded with his relatives in the Watson family and the two family names share much of their history. The firm was a subscriber to the establishment of the Birmingham Proof House. The guns were sold as either Rowland Watson or T Wild, and no guns were sold bearing both names. This example would appear to have enjoyed an easy life, or at least caring owners. It was made in 1925
Richard Ellis and Sons 12 bore Rebounding Hammer Gun
A damascus barrelled back action hammer gun with rebounding hammers. The black powder proofed barrels are of an attractive rose pattern damascus steel and are well browned. The bores are good, but not perfect, but the bores are bright and shinny and the slight pitting is shallow, and predominantly in the left barrel. The 30" barrels are choked at 1/4 and 3/4 and have 2 1/2" chambers. The stock has a 14 1/2" reach. The chequering is still present and relatively clean, if not sharp. There are small losses around the left and lock plate. Richard Ellis and Sons were taken over by W & C Scott in 1897 - just before that name merged with P Webley and Son to form Webley and Scott. Richard Ellis set up in Birmingham in 1879 and the address on the rib of 11 Leadenhall Street in London is not one I can find referred to.