Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon S 20 bore
Not our usual offering, but this 20 bore Beretta 686 20 bore Sliver Pigeon S is in excellent condition, being very little used by its previous owner who bought it new , and now at the age of 95 is giving up shooting. The gun was made in 2009. It has seen very little use indeed. It comes in the plastic Beretta travel case, 5 removable chokes and the key to swap them over. It has 28" barrels and the stock has a 15 1/4" reach.
Browning Double Automatic 12 bore
A classic semi automatic shotgun. The Browning Two Shot was invented by Val Browning, son of John Moses Browning and was made from 1955 through to 1971. The special short travel recoil system makes for a gun with a light recoild but will still handle 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" cartridges without any adjustment. The double stacked two cartridge arrangement is intended to keep the gun properly balanced and handle like a traditional shotgun. In good overall condition. The stock has a 14 1/2" reach and the barrel is chocked at between 1/2 and 3/4. The gun comes with a copy of the instruction book and some other document.
Frederick Williams Boxlock with Sunken Rib 12 bore
Frederick Williams is recorded in Birmingham in 1881 and traded there until 1954 when the company was taken over. He also had premises in London. This boxlock non ejector was made in 1924. The 30" barrels are nitro proofed and have 21/s" chambers. They are choked at cylinder and 1/2. The barrels are engraved with "Fredk Williams" and " London and Glasgow". The barrels have an attractive sunken rib. The locks have much of the original colour hardening present. The chequering is clean and in good order. The stock has a 14 1/2" reach.
Henry Tolley 12 bore Times Gun Damascus Barrelled Sidelock
A Henry Tolley "Times Gun" Sidelock non ejector 12 bore. Henry Tolley traded from The Times Works, Weaman Street in Birmingham from 1880 to 1892. Henry Tolley is not relate to the better known James Tolley. His gun are named after his "Times" workshop. This example was made in the mid 1880s. Nigel Brown's comprehensive three volumes on British Gun Makers lists 6 other "Times" Guns as having been recorded. The stock has a 14 1/4" reach, the 30 barrels have 2 1/2" chambers and are nitro proofed. The rose patterned damascus barrels are choked at 1/4 and 3/4. The bores are clean and free from pitting.
J S Boreham Colchester Damascus 12 bore sidelock
A 12 bore sidelock non ejector gun with attractive rose pattern damascus barrels. The 30" nitro proofed barrels are choked at improved and 1/2 choke. It has 2 1/2" chambers. The well figured stock has a 14 1/4" reach. The sidelocks have border line engraving and some foliate decoration and have the name "JS Boreham". The locks retain some of the original colour hardening finish. The barrels have a sunken rib and are engraved with "Sportsmans Depot Colchester" and "JS Boreham". J S Borehamd started his own busines in Cambridge in 1868 and then in 1874 he took over a shop in Colchester and named it the Sportsmans Depot. He continued to trade until 1895. A very attractive and usable gun from the end of the 19th century.
WO marked Fox Stirlingworth Boxlock 12 bore (Savage)
An interesting boxlock with a lot of history. Ansley H Fox is one of the most highly regarded names in American shotgun making. The company, like so many tied tot he top end of the market, struggled during the economic depression and was bought by Savage Arms in 1929. Production of Fox guns was moved to the Savage factory in Utica , New York State.After a short while to whole gun production business was moved to the old Stevens (another acquisition by Savage) in Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. Most of the Savage produced Fox Sterlingworth guns were marked "FOX Sterlingworth". This example is marked simply "Sterlingworth" and this makes it a rare early Savage production. The Sterlingworth was the workhorse of the Fox range - simple relatively plain guns but with the high quality expected from the prestigious Fox stable. This one would heave been produced in 1929. The gun was then exported to the UK, and bears the Broad Arrow marks of the Board of Ordnance. It was not proofed at the time of import - the Birmingham proof marks can be dated to 1988. The import would have likely been during the Second World War, and with the country almost on it's knees, and facing invasion checking desperately needed firearms for proof was not considered a strict requirement. The import could have been made for a number of reasons. The most likely was that it was an early part of the USA Lend Lease package President Roosevelt signed in 1941. The equivalent of 2.3 Billion dollars of materials were sent to the UK (a loan for which the last repayments were made at the end of 2006). In the early days of the arrangement the UK was facing invasion and firearms of any sort were desperately needed - partly due to the losses at Dunkirk. The gun may have served in a Home Guard unit or similar. Another possibility is that the gun was a part of the American Committee for the Defence of British Homes. This private organistion was appalled by the popular isolationist majority in the USA who opposed giving support to a lonely and surrounded UK, and set about organising the shipment of weapons themselves, before the President managed to find a way though the opposition from Congress. Other possibilities are that the gun was used by aircrews for training in shooting moving targets. Clay pigeon traps and sometimes the gunners were in the back of moving lorries and practiced shooting moving targets. The gun has 32" barrels with 2 3/4" chambers. The stock has a 14 3/4" reach including a well fitted wood extension. The overall condition is good, with good bores, clean chequering and faded bluing being the only sign of the guns age. A useable and solid gun with an interesting history, which is worthy of further research.
Army and Navy Sidelock Ejector cased
A cased Army and Navy sidelock ejector 12 bore. The 28" barrels are choked at cylinder and 1/2. It is chambered for 2 1/2" cartridges. The bores are good, but fall short of perfect; they have very slight pitting which is only discernable after close inspection. The stock has a reach of just over 14 1/2", has some figure and the chequering is in very good condition. The lock plates are border engraved and free from pitting. My flash photography makes the locks look shinier than they really are. The gun comes in what I take to be its original leather case case with two original Army and Navy labels. The case is in solid and good condition with all straps and loops present. The catch works properly, but there is no key. The top of the case has the initials GDH. The serial number of the gun dates it's manufacture as being between 1910 and the start of the First World War. Army and Navy were not gun makers but were a cooperative society who had guns, amongst many other things, made for them. In 1871 a thirsty but astute group of army and navy officers thought they were paying too much for their port and clubbed together to buy a case wholesale. The operation was successful and repeated and thus the Army and Navy Cooperative Society was born. Initially restricted to Commissioned and Warrant Officers membership was soon expanded to include all ranks, families and then anyone wishing to make a purchase. Before long to society was supplying all manner of goods to anyone serving the empire across the globe. Branches were opened in London and also in Delhi, Calcutta, Karachi, amongst other places. I have a reproduction of a 1907 catalogue which includes a vast range of good, which could have been ordered and delivered by post. The items offered include groceries, cigarettes, furniture, garden furniture, saddlery, stationary, surgical instruments, drugs, clothes and all manner of weapons, both sporting and military.
AYA No.3 boxlock non ejector
An AYA No.3 12 bore boxlock non ejector. Aguirre y Aranzabal is one of the best known, and highly regarded Spanish gunmakers. The Aranzabal brothers learnt the craft of gun making from a German immigrant settled Spain. In 1915 they returned to their home the Basque region of northern Spain and set up AYA. In the 1950s two english brothers, Peter and Andrew King discovered the AYA workshops for themselves and were very impressed with the quality of the workmanship, and the willingness to re create english style guns with great attention to detail. The AYA boxlocks are closely based on the Westley Richards models with an Anson Dealy boxlock and Purdey double underbolt. The No.3 is a non ejector version of the No.4. It has 28" Chopper lump barrels with 70mm chambers and 1/4 and 3/4 choke. The barrels are in very good condition, inside and out. The action has all is original case hardening. The wood is in fine shape with sharp crisp chequering. The gun has seen very little work and is in very good order. The stock has a 14 1/2" reach. The only sign of wear is a slight rubbing of the blue on the side of the trigger guard. This gun was made in the early 1970s.
Cogswell and Harrison Avant Tout 12 bore BLE
A Cogswell and Harrison Avant Tout boxlock ejector. Manufactured in the later part of 1892 by one of the older names in English gun making - the company claims to go back to 1770. The 30" barrels are nitro proofed and have 2 1/2" chambers. The chokes are cylinder and 1/4. The well figured stock has a 14" reach. The stock has been pinned on the left side, above the trigger guard. A crack is visible on close inspection, but the repair appears to be an old one, and one which has been well done. The stock is now in a sound and solid condition. The Harrison Patent ejectors function properly and reliably. The bores are in good condition. The engraving is in good condition and not pitted or discoloured.
Webley and Scott .410 Bolt Action
A single barrel .410 from Webley and Scott. These great little guns tend to work hard and are not often found as straight as this one. The woodwork is very tidy indeed. The reach is 13 1/4" and the barrel is full choked and 25 1/2" long. The barrel as the nitro proof markings for 2 1/2" chambers and is engraved with "Webley and Scott, Birmingham".
H A Turner of Marlborough Boxlock Ejector
A boxlock ejector from H A Turner of Marlborough. H A Turner, being Henry Arthur Turner was a successor to Thomas Turner of High St, Marlborough, presumably being is son. and was at 142 High street until 1913. The business is then recorded as being owner by Mrs H A Turner at the same address until 1920. The 30" barrels were originally black powder proof but have been reproofed for nitro and have 2 1/2" chambers. They are choked at open and 1/2. The stock is well figured and has a 14 1/4" reach. The ejectors work properly and the fore end is attached by a Deeley and Edge lever fastener. the locks are engraved with " H A Turner", and the top rib with "H A Turner Marlborough".
Belgian .410 Boxlock Side by Side
A tidy .410 side by side non ejector boxlock. There is no makers name, but the barrels have Belgian nitro proof marks for the 65mm ( 2 1/2") cartridges. The actions shuts tightly and securely, and the stock has a nice bit of grain. On the down side both barrels have pitting. The barrel size and wall thickness is fine, but please do not be disappointed if you look up the barrels and see some pits. A delightful gun to shoot. The barrels are 28", and the reach is 141/2. The chequering is remarkably sharp. Push rod fore end faster and top leaver opening.
E.M. Reilly London Box Lock Ejector
Number 2 of a pair this boxlock ejector has 30" barrels, 2 1/2" chambers and is nitro proofed.The bores are free from pitting and are choked at 1/2 and 3/4. the reach is 15 1/8". Although there is little engraving or embellishment on this gun, it is a gun of good quality. The game rib is engraved with " E.M. Reilly & Co" and the address of 295 Oxford Street in London. This was the address used from 1904 to 1911. There is a vacant escutcheon on the underside of the straight hand stock. The serial number is 35423 if anyone out there has or know of the matching gun to make a pair.
Greener GP Martini Action 12 Bore
A British classic. A Greener GP. The Birmingham nitro proof marks are for 1957. The single barrel is 32" long and is choked at 3/4. The chamber is for 2 3/4" cartridges. This is the second Model ( sometimes termed "lux" with chequering at the wrist and a screw retained fore end. The barrel mis free from pitting and has a good blued finish. The lock has some loss of finish and a light patination - my flash photography makes the loss of finish look much more severe than it is. The gun is is very good working order and although used does not have the mashed screw heads and bruising some of the GPs tend to acquire. A gun that will never let you down and one which makes a gun cabinet complete!
B Halliday and Son, London .410 Folding Shotgun
A folding .410" single barrel gun. Marked on the action as "British Made" and with Birmingam proof marks the barrel is engraved with "B Halliday and Co Ltd. London ". The Ward type action has a hammerless design and a sliding side safety catch. The 26" barrel has 2 1/2" chambers and is nitro proofed. The stock has a 14" reach. The bore has some pitting but is perfectly useable and far from some of the moon crater examples that appear from time to time. Halliday and Co are an interesting company with some local history for those of us in Wiltshire; they traded from Queen Victoria Street in London from 1921 to 1925 and the moved to Cannon Street until 1965. The company was then bought by the Wiltshire branch of the Greenfield family who still trade in Salisbury. Another branch of the Greenfields set up shop in Canterbury, and they are also still in gun trade.